Thursday, March 8, 2012

still in the process of processing...

i don't want to forget anything
that i learned or experienced
on this amazing journey. 
i feel a strange anxiety,
a sense of urgency
so as not to dismiss even one tiny detail.
not a single sensation.
not a solitary emotion
or scenario.



and certainly not this shining face.



i think back at me pointing to myself and saying my name, then motioning to her as a signal for her to tell me her name, but she would merely repeat my name.  i'm no genius, but i'm pretty sure her name isn't 'hez-uh'.  after several failed attempts at this game of gestures (and lots of giggles), we were rescued by someone who understood my objective.  a few inquiries and translations later, he revealed to me that her name is Keltun (kel-toon).  Keltun is 7 or 8 years old...i can't recall exactly, but i remember thinking she is Zander's age.  she is full of energy and laughter, despite being hungry and thirsty.  she is cordial and affectionate, in spite of difficult circumstances.




within minutes of seeing one another for the first time, she reached for my hand as we began walking down the dirt road to get a look at the well and generator for her village. another child wanted to hold my hand too, but Keltun was reluctant to share even one of my fingers, so i put my camera down and offered my left hand to the other little girl. we strolled along not speaking a word. i would glance at Keltun every few steps and she would cast me that beaming grin...smiling even with her eyes.




eyes that are full of promise and unlimited potential. Keltun's health, education, and opportunities depend on her village, Megaladi, navigating the path of TCD (transformational community development) with the guidance of the local GHNI representatives.




this program works...i've seen it. 
     there is hope...Megaladi sees it.      



Musa, Keltun's father, is a TCD committee member in Megaladi. in our meeting with the committees, Musa (moo-say) was insistent and eager, yet softly spoken and incredibly wise (even through triple translation!). he made a reference to the village of Megaladi being a small, stagnant pond and GHNI being a teeming river. as the river rushes into the pond, he described, the two bodies of water become one. the momentum of the river encompasses the pond and together they flow along the course of the river.  so eloquent.  so accurate.  he "gets it".  the people of Megaladi understand that they need some momentum.  their village can become self-sustaining and prolific with this surge of knowledge and encouragement offered by GHNI. 


this man is Musa





thank you for continuing to follow my journey...

you, too, can be part of the extended village network for Megaladi.

or you can go to the Megaladi blog page to learn more and check out their progress.

i'll be back soon...
ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Still processing. Don't want to forget a single thing. Sometimes I'm afraid I will....like I'll get caught up in this torrent of water called "normal" and forget about these incredible people. I'll keep coming back here to see these photos and read these words. They need us to tell their story. Courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm so good Heather! Keltun,such a sweeti and her father as well. I would have liked to meet her mother. I went through photos again and did find one of the two of you walking. Sorry for the delay...maybe you could still add it to your post? I will e-mail it. It hardly seems that we were really there...

    ReplyDelete